Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the True Junior Stock Skates currently on sale for $199 CDN at numerous retailers across the Internet?  Not sure their history but my best guess is they are the predecessors of the TF7, possibly put out the year before they launched.  Just wondering how they compare in weight and build quality to the TF7's.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Doodles said:

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the True Junior Stock Skates currently on sale for $199 CDN at numerous retailers across the Internet?  Not sure their history but my best guess is they are the predecessors of the TF7, possibly put out the year before they launched.  Just wondering how they compare in weight and build quality to the TF7's.  Thanks.

I put several of my son's teammates into those the last couple of seasons. You are correct, they were Trues first venture into the stock skate market. They appear to be the same build as their customs at the time. Nice solid skate. Typically will come mounted with their first proprietary holder (will have the same hole pattern as Tuuk)  and Step steel.  I would probably choose them over a pair of TF7's personally.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monty22 said:

I put several of my son's teammates into those the last couple of seasons. You are correct, they were Trues first venture into the stock skate market. They appear to be the same build as their customs at the time. Nice solid skate. Typically will come mounted with their first proprietary holder (will have the same hole pattern as Tuuk)  and Step steel.  I would probably choose them over a pair of TF7's personally.  

Same. And you can't beat the clearance price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monty22 said:

I put several of my son's teammates into those the last couple of seasons. You are correct, they were Trues first venture into the stock skate market. They appear to be the same build as their customs at the time. Nice solid skate. Typically will come mounted with their first proprietary holder (will have the same hole pattern as Tuuk)  and Step steel.  I would probably choose them over a pair of TF7's personally.  

Agree, on looks alone I prefer them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great, thanks for the replies!  I bought a pair of 4.5 for my son online after he rejected the Mako 2's I found for him earlier this summer, hopefully he likes these better.  He did not care for the Mako's steeper angle of attack as it put him off balance and I don't want to mess around re-profiling the blades as they are getting hard to find and more expensive than the skate now.....time to move on as I don't want to throw good money after bad. 

Question about the sizing of the Trues, I've read about the removeable toe bumper that allows for expansion but need clarification, is a 4.5 actually a size 4 boot with the bumper removed or is it a size 5 boot with the bumper intact?

Edited by Doodles
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2021 at 8:49 AM, Sniper9 said:

Take the footbed out and see if the length is right. Whether you can get your foot in the true skate prebake has no indication of how they will fit baked. 

Yeah so this is interesting. The TF9 goalie skate seems to be sized differently than the player skate if what everyone else is saying is true and they had to size down from Bauer’s. These are the footbeds in the size 8R TF9 compared to a size 7 from a Bauer Reactor 6000. They are virtually identical with the Bauer’s being slightly wider in the forefront 

https://imgur.com/a/9kfAeEN


Here is the Bauer on top of the True for comparison. I used a straight edge to hold the Bauer down from curling up.

https://imgur.com/a/kPA1BlG


and the True on top the Bauer to show the really are nearly identical in size. Again this is a True size 8R vs a Bauer 7D 

https://imgur.com/a/huGhnl7

 

Edited by chicknpawks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chicknpawks said:

Yeah so this is interesting. The TF9 goalie skate seems to be sized differently than the player skate if what everyone else is saying is true and they had to size down from Bauer’s. These are the footbeds in the size 8R TF9 compared to a size 7 from a Bauer Reactor 6000. They are virtually identical with the Bauer’s being slightly wider in the forefront 

https://imgur.com/a/9kfAeEN


Here is the Bauer on top of the True for comparison. I used a straight edge to hold the Bauer down from curling up.

https://imgur.com/a/kPA1BlG


and the True on top the Bauer to show the really are nearly identical in size. Again this is a True size 8R vs a Bauer 7D 

https://imgur.com/a/huGhnl7

 

Interesting... For me it wouldn't be an issue but holder sizing is a problem if you're say generally a size 7 which is a 263 holder and gave to size down to 6-6.5 in true and that is a 254 holder. Doesn't make sense to me if the boot length is the same between their 6/6.5 and others' 7, yet they use a shorter holder. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chicknpawks said:

Yeah so this is interesting. The TF9 goalie skate seems to be sized differently than the player skate if what everyone else is saying is true and they had to size down from Bauer’s. These are the footbeds in the size 8R TF9 compared to a size 7 from a Bauer Reactor 6000. They are virtually identical with the Bauer’s being slightly wider in the forefront 

https://imgur.com/a/9kfAeEN


Here is the Bauer on top of the True for comparison. I used a straight edge to hold the Bauer down from curling up.

https://imgur.com/a/kPA1BlG


and the True on top the Bauer to show the really are nearly identical in size. Again this is a True size 8R vs a Bauer 7D 

https://imgur.com/a/huGhnl7

 

I would want to look at a more recent Bauer skate before going with concrete proof for sizing comparisons. I would also say the foot bed comparison isn't perfect because my True TF9 foot beds weren't all the way to the end of the toe box if I remember correctly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hills said:

I would want to look at a more recent Bauer skate before going with concrete proof for sizing comparisons. I would also say the foot bed comparison isn't perfect because my True TF9 foot beds weren't all the way to the end of the toe box if I remember correctly.

That’s true I just don’t have anything newer to compare, although idk if Bauer has changed anything in recent years in terms of sizing because the newer Bauer models fit me the same as any other pair I’ve worn and I have always been a 7/7.5. 
 

That does make sense because even though the footbeds are the same and the skates fit similar, my Trues feel just slightly longer in the toe box than my Bauer’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I have a question. Are TF7 or TF9 good for people with haglund deformity aka bauer bump(bony thing growing from heel) on heels ? My AS3 tacks killing me and I am looking for something else(I have no feet shape for Bauer skates). Do someone with same heel conditions own TF9 or 7 and feeling no crushing pain in heel bones ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Hanrider said:

Hello, I have a question. Are TF7 or TF9 good for people with haglund deformity aka bauer bump(bony thing growing from heel) on heels ? My AS3 tacks killing me and I am looking for something else(I have no feet shape for Bauer skates). Do someone with same heel conditions own TF9 or 7 and feeling no crushing pain in heel bones ?

Have you looked into getting the heels of your AS3 punched?  I just did this with my Ribcor 76Ks.  Much better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hanrider said:

Hello, I have a question. Are TF7 or TF9 good for people with haglund deformity aka bauer bump(bony thing growing from heel) on heels ? My AS3 tacks killing me and I am looking for something else(I have no feet shape for Bauer skates). Do someone with same heel conditions own TF9 or 7 and feeling no crushing pain in heel bones ?

I have slight bauer bumps and the TF9 don't bother me at all but then again none of my past skates (except the bauer's that gave me the bumps) have given me a problem there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Have you looked into getting the heels of your AS3 punched?  I just did this with my Ribcor 76Ks.  Much better. 

next week I have appointment when my local shop get they tools back for punching but, I am a little bit afraid they will destroy my skates. 

Edited by Hanrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hanrider said:

next week I have appointment when my local shop get they tools back for punching but, I am a little bit afraid they will destroy my skates. 

Does this shop have trues in stock? If so try them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hanrider said:

next week I have appointment when my local shop get they tools back for punching but, I am a little bit afraid they will destroy my skates. 

Why would they destroy your skates? Punching isn't that hard to do, albeit heel work takes a little more care and effort. As I replied to you in another forum, get them punched with a channel, not just a spot punch. Then if you get any heel lift in the boot your bump will not smack into the top of the heel pocket or the top of the punch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Why would they destroy your skates? Punching isn't that hard to do, albeit heel work takes a little more care and effort. As I replied to you in another forum, get them punched with a channel, not just a spot punch. Then if you get any heel lift in the boot your bump will not smack into the top of the heel pocket or the top of the punch.

Not that Vet88 doesn't know his stuff (he most certainly does), but I'll confirm his input.  I've had several boots punched in the heel to make room for my bumps.  The hard part is pinpointing where the punches should be and how deep.  Any shop worth their salt will take care and do a little at a time.  If you aren't confident in the shop's abilities, seek out another shop. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I usually take my insoles out after skating, but man these are tough to put back in.  I"m using the stock True insole.  Any tips?  

Also I bought the TF9's not knowing about the wrap method and my local store didn't do it for me.  I'm not sure if I should go back and have it done or try them out first.  I noticed on the instructions they don't mention the wrapping while baking at home so maybe it's not necessary?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

I would try them out first.  You can always re-bake if you don't like how they feel.  I'm tempted to do that with mine as well, to try and help get a little better heel lock without needing to crank on the laces 3 or so eyelets down.

I always took my insoles out too, but I gave it up with the Trues.  Initially that was because I was using the arch inserts and they're kinda a bear to keep in position when putting in the insole.  I stopped using those however and didn't go back to pulling insoles after every skate.  We'll see if I end up regretting it, but so far that's a hassle I don't miss.

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grimstarr said:

So I usually take my insoles out after skating, but man these are tough to put back in.  I"m using the stock True insole.  Any tips?   

Funny, I have the same problems. I’ve used superfeet insoles for a few years now with Bauer skates and put a ‘tape tab’ on the side of the insole to make it easier to pull out. On the True TF9’s it’s a major PITA to put the insert back in without undoing half the laces. Hearing stories over the years of people popping and rusting rivets I'm trying to be as diligent as can be 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday, while driving to get my skates sharpened, I stopped and tried on some TF7s, then bought them because yolo. My wife bought new high heels the other day, so we are even  

Im excited and nervous. They feel ok walking around the house. First game tonight. I didn’t get them profiled yet, because I want to see what the forward lean is like. 

Because of the one piece design, toe box is absolutely brutal looking, like a ski boot. Maybe in 10 years all skates will look like this, and the separate toe cap will look old and dated. 

For sizing comparison, I’ve been wearing an 8.5 in Bauers, and went with an 8.0 in these. I didn’t even try on the 8.5, since the 8s felt the way I expected a skate to fit. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you change your profile when you went to True from your previous brand? I want to leave the shift holder on. 

Coming from 2S skates with a quad 0.5. I very occasionally felt on the 0.5 that I got over my toes and felt unbalanced. Not sure if that was having to much weight forward over the 6’ part of the radius, or just poor skating form. 

I know people say the Shift has more forward lean. I didn’t notice it in my first skate, but there’s so many variables with new skates, and the ice was soft and slow, so hard to get a feel for what was causing what. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know where to get Shift goalie steel for the TF9 Goalie skates? Seems pointless to have a quick change holder without having extra steel...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2021 at 5:13 PM, Westside said:

Funny, I have the same problems. I’ve used superfeet insoles for a few years now with Bauer skates and put a ‘tape tab’ on the side of the insole to make it easier to pull out. On the True TF9’s it’s a major PITA to put the insert back in without undoing half the laces. Hearing stories over the years of people popping and rusting rivets I'm trying to be as diligent as can be 

+1 for tape tab 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

So... struggling to get a good heel lock on the TF7s.  Its not horrible, but I can feel my foot lifting up/down a bit.  If I tighten laces enough that my foot is locked in, my arches start to hurt.

Thinking I should rebake.

I can get the plastic wrap.  My understanding is that the procedure is to lace up through the forefoot/arc and leave the top 3/4 eyelets undone, with packing wrap around the ankle area.  Can I expect that to tighten up the heel, or should I be looking for a way to apply more pressure from the sides?  I could probably rig up a clamp against some boards with foam between the boards and the boot...

Anyone have the heating instructions for home baking for TF-7's?

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...